Laura J. Carroll
Laura J. Carroll
Laura J. Carroll focuses on environmental, product liability and toxic tort litigation. She has been voted by her peers as one of the top 50 female attorneys in Southern California. Ms. Carroll has achieved favorable outcomes in five out of five trials.
Her environmental expertise includes liabilities associated with soil and groundwater contamination; Proposition 65 claims; air pollution; Superfund work; business and real estate transactions with environmental issues; CERCLA and CEQA; lender liability and Safe Harbor provisions; negotiation and oversight of private and public property cleanup work; oil industry issues; energy industry issues; compliance counseling; defense of regulatory demands; drafting contracts that address environmental components; negotiations with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies; white collar crime; Brownfields work; manufacturing operations; petroleum, lead, asbestos, VOCs, MTBE and other types of contamination; and Bankruptcy matters.
Ms. Carroll’s experience in products liability and toxic torts includes matters relating to multi-party toxic tort actions; medical components of product liability claims; epidemiological clusters of illnesses; exposures to hazardous substances in air, food, groundwater, and household products and materials; and work place exposures and illnesses. Her toxic tort work is often related to injuries and diseases associated with proximity to landfills, dump sites, and ongoing manufacturing operations.
Formerly a professional cellist and baroque music specialist, Ms. Carroll is a past president of the Board of Directors of Musica Angelica, a Los Angeles-based baroque orchestra.
- Defended manufacturer in multiple cases involving claims of toxic shock syndrome.
- Defended manufacturing operation re alleged lead and chromium in air emissions.
- Defended clients in multiparty cases alleging cancer, asthma, and other medical diagnoses.
- Defended manufacturer of a particular type of medical CT Scanner.
- Negotiations of cleanup levels and remediation goals, overseeing soil and groundwater cleanup for refineries, oil fields, manufacturing plants, and contaminated properties around the US.
- Defended CEQA action for an energy company involving its purchase of a $400 million ocean property owned by federal government.
- Defended national organic foods company against Proposition 65 claims brought by citizen plaintiffs re exposures to lead and cadmium in foods.
- Headed financial institution due diligence assessment of a $2 billion real estate portfolio acquisition.
- Defended oil and other energy companies, manufacturers, business entities, and individuals at federal and state Superfund sites around the US.
- Prosecuted actions by oil and energy companies to recover CERCLA and state equivalent remediation costs.
- Defended national brass manufacturer in Proposition 65 cases brought by District Attorney alleging exposures to lead in stack emissions and baghouse dust.
- Defended chrome plater against Proposition 65 claim brought City Attorney’s Office.
- Prosecuted easement violation, involving habitat issues and California Department of Fish and Game.
- Prosecuted action for oil terminal against a railroad for environmental damages at harbor terminal.
- Worked with US EPA’s Inspector General re citizen group misbehavior in Proposition 65 lawsuit.
- Defended national industrial manufacturer against criminal and civil actions brought by Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office.
- Prosecuted environmental action against a large cemetery owner seeking punitive damages and recovery of prosecution fees under private attorney general theory.
- Prosecuted Federal False Claims (qui tam) action concerning aerospace industry.
- Defended national pipeline operator against lawsuit brought by City of Los Angeles, Harbor Division, concerning contamination at an 80-year-old tank farm.
- Represented clients in multi-party lawsuits involving contaminated properties, including a case involving thousands of alleged defendants.
- Defended white collar crime cases brought against business owners and manufacturing managers by District Attorney, City Attorney and California Attorney General.
- Recovered monies under old insurance policies for defense and indemnity claims involving contaminated properties.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Selectee, Southern California Super Lawyers (2007-present).
- Selectee, Woman of the Year, National Association of Professional Women (2013).
- Selectee, voted by peers as Top 50 female lawyer, Southern California Super Lawyers (2010).
- Selectee, Top Woman Attorney in California.
- Soloist (former) at Carmel Bach Festival.
- Professional (former) cellist and treble viol player.
UCLA School of Law
Ph.D. studies, 1976-1979
Miami University of Ohio
B.A., 1973, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals – Ninth Circuit
California State Courts
U.S. District Court, Central District, CA
U.S. District Court, Eastern District, CA
U.S. District Court, Northern District, CA
District of Columbia Courts
Past pro hac vice admittance in Montana State Court
Past pro hac vice admittance in Utah Federal District Court